Dunlap Oil Company history
E.T. Dunlap started Dunlap Service in 1945. At that time, Dunlap Service consisted of a gasoline and service station located at 759 South Haskell Avenue in the historic town of Willcox, Arizona. Also, the company maintained one 1100 gallon gas truck which Kenneth Dunlap (E.T. Dunlap’s son) used to deliver gas to farmers.
In 1956 Kenneth bought a transport truck that held 6000 gallons of gas and continued to deliver gas for Dunlap Service.
In 1959 Kenneth bought Dunlap Service from his father so his father could retire. In the first 10 years of his ownership, Kenneth expanded the company greatly by purchasing and leasing stations in many Arizona communities, including Benson, Kansas Settlement, San Simon, Bisbee, Douglas, Sierra Vista, Benson, Safford, Clifton, and a second Willcox station on North Haskell.
In 1969 he built Willcox Truck Plaza which was followed by Benson Plaza in 1973. In 1971 Kenneth opened the very first self-service stations in each of Cochise, Graham, and Greenlee Counties. The following decades have seen much growth and expansion of Dunlap Oil Company. The company now serves customers throughout Arizona, branching out into communities like Payson, Thatcher, Pinetop and Ajo. The company today consists of multiple Doc’s Food Stores locations, delivering gas to local farmers and other commercial customers (jobber for Chevron), and delivering lubricants. Dunlap Oil Company remains a family business and a well known institution in the community.
Construction Projects Outline
1969 Willcox Truck Plaza/Willcox Cafe
1971 Gordon’s Market
1973-1974 Willcox Drug Store, Gambles, Cowboy Corner, BP-1 Main Office/Warehouse in Willcox
1975 Radio Shack, Fabric Store
1975-1976 Benson Café
1980 Best Western Plaza Inn
1985 Sierra Vista Little General
1986 Burger King
1986 Best Western Quail Hollow Inn
1987 Remodel Willcox Truck Plaza fuel facility new pumps/Chevron canopies
1988 Remodel Willcox Café
1989 Remodel San Jose Chevron store
1990 Benson Chevron, WTP new above ground tanks installed, paved truck parking lot
1991 San Jose Chevron remodel fueling facility, WTP added showers, laundry, truckers lounge, expanded restrooms
1992 Thatcher Chevron
1993 Sierra Vista Chevron
1994 Pinetop Chevron, BP-1 added on to offices
1995 QHI added on 20 rooms
1996 Safford Exxon rebranded later to Chevron
1997 Mustang Corners, Add on BP-1 green records room, BLG Exxon, stucco outside of Benson Plaza Building, Bought old Circle K in Bisbee and turned it into San Jose Chevron
1998 San Jose Chevron Car Wash, Payson Chevron, Add on side fuel island SJC, SVLG Food Court
1999 Payson Chevron, Ajo Chevron & Food Mart
2003 BP-1 warehouse addition 40’ x 50’
2004 TP-1 office/warehouse
© 2006 Dunlap Oil Company and TMF. All product representations are the property of their respective owners. No use except by permission.